We’re looking for talented, experienced instructors to join our team! Inquire via firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our job listings on Handshake.
Graphic Design Instructor
Job Description: Recreation Program Instructor 3
Unit: Student Union’s Berkeley Art Studio
Job Type: .1 FTE, Limited, Hourly Employment
The Berkeley Art Studio at UC Berkeley is hiring a Graphic Design Instructor!
Summer Session 2023: June 5, 2023 – August 4, 2023
About the Berkeley Art Studio
The Berkeley Art Studio is open to the entire community as well as UC Students, Faculty, and Staff. We offer classes in ceramics, painting, drawing, photography, printmaking and design. The Studio has a rich history of providing quality art instruction for our members. It is a welcoming place for students and artists at various skill levels. It has proven to be more than just a space, but also a community of artists committed to their craft.
General Instructor Responsibilities:
- Instruct class participants in one to four classes per week in the evenings and/or weekends. This is an in-person teaching position.
- Maintains a supportive environment for program participants, which facilitates student learning and participation.
- Interacts with program participants in a positive manner.
- Develops knowledge of teaching methods, techniques and skills through continuing education.
- Works with Studio Coordinator on developing class schedule, syllabus, and workshops.
- Maintains clean studio/classroom space.
Schedule: Approximately one to four classes in the evenings and/or weekends. This position runs for 40 weeks per year at approximately 3-10 hours per week.
Required Qualifications: Education/Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in fine art preferred; Master’s Degree desirable.
- Previous experience in an art learning environment preferred.
- Ability and interest in helping others learn digital and graphic arts skills.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong foundation in the graphic/digital arts. Strong command of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign. If teaching video-based classes, strong command of Adobe After Effects desired. Experience with web design desired.
- Requires verbal and written communication in the English language, active listening, dynamic flexibility, critical thinking, multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Able to exercise independent sound judgment and employ reasoning skills.
- Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit, and creative thinking.